Today’s post is going to be a first for me as I’ve never actually interviewed anyone on my blog before. However, I really want to introduce you to someone whom I’ve come to love and have great respect for. You know those people you meet that you just connect with? Those people that are so
authentic aware of their authenticity and expressive that their very nature just invites you in? This is how I felt with my friend, Annie Burnside.
While Annie and I have shared phone calls, emails, and plenty of Facebook and Twitter conversations we’ve actually never met in person. I’m very hopeful and even more confident that one day we will. For now, I’m happy to share some very authentic and as Annie has coined, “Soul to Soul” interactions with her.
Annie Burnside, Soul Nurturer is a Speaker, Author, Soul to Soul Circle Creator, Blogger, Mom, Wife, and not all in that order! While Annie has a lot of roles we could celebrate (and I’d like to share some with you) I’m hoping that you can get to know her on a little more intimate level as well. Just as I came to see how peaceful, spiritual, honest, vulnerable, loving, nurturing, and passionate she is, I’m confident you’ll quickly see that as well. She’s such an inspiration and advocate for others to find their own inner spirit. Annie has been so gracious as to answer some questions that I’d like to share with you.
There’s so much to learn from Annie so without further ado please allow me to introduce you to my friend and Soul Nurturer, Annie Burnside!
You call yourself a soul nurturer; can you explain that title?
Officially, I have been a soul nurturer for over seven years. I created it as a career as soul nurturing has always been the most natural aspect of who I am. A soul nurturer helps others awaken to their own truth in all aspects of life by providing the tools and encouragement to look more closely at their inner world. She assists others in viewing their life from an expanded perspective by helping them to remember their divine, creative, intuitive, eternal nature and how to integrate this knowing into their life choices. A soul nurturer’s primary role is to inspire others to listen to the voice of their own soul so that direct divine connection can become fully accessible within daily reality.
What inspired you to write Soul to Soul Parenting?
Spiritual development/personal growth has been my greatest passion since I was nineteen. As it has brought such joy, purpose, gratitude and liberation to be truly comfortable within my own skin, I desired to take my children with me on the journey. I began to break down my spiritual insights and teachings into digestible bites for my own children, and conscious parenting became the most important aspect of what we offered them. Other parents noticed and started asking for guidance so I began speaking on the topic locally. Soon it became apparent that there was a book inside of me ready to emerge.
What are your guiding principles for Soul to Soul parenting? Are there particular elements that you recommend?
The following ten tips may be useful for parents to post somewhere as a reminder of the guiding principles of Soul to Soul Parenting:
1. Utilize everyday life—such as friendships, nature, mealtimes, music, movies, and much more—as the perfect curriculum and forum to teach your children powerful, universal principles such as connectedness, self-love, presence, and forgiveness.
2. Teach your children to allow multiple perspectives in all life situations and relationships by “flipping” challenges into positive, learning opportunities.
3. Train your children to be more conscious of thoughts, words, and deeds so that they can assume greater responsibility for the shaping of their own reality.
4. Encourage compassion, empathy and gratitude in your children on a daily basis by making them the most-used words in your home.
5. Turn the JOY in family life way up by singing, dancing, smiling, humming, laughing, and relaxing rigid perspectives as often as possible through openness and gratitude.
6. Model authenticity through speaking and living your truth, giving your children permission to do the same.
7. Show your spirit daily so that your children can witness multiple aspects of you, and in turn, see multiple aspects in themselves.
8. Teach your children that they are intuitive, creative, eternal spiritual beings—much larger than simply their physical form—and filled with infinite possibility and the capacity for direct divine connection.
9. Assist your children in understanding that an appreciation for life in the present moment, coupled with enthusiasm for their future, plants the necessary seeds for manifesting their true heart’s desires.
10. Provide the space and opportunity for your children to focus on their interior world as much as the exterior world, allowing greater intimacy with the voice of their own soul to feel what resonates as truth for them.
Besides your book, you also lead workshops. What can participants expect from one of your workshops?
My workshops all center on knowing oneself more intimately offering a safe and nurturing space to get started down the spiritual development path. People of all faiths, passions and family dynamics attend to enjoy a specific time carved out for inner work and sharing. I call them Soul to Soul Circles. Leading these Circles is an absolute highlight of my week. Depending on the series, about twenty of us gather once a week to connect, share, discuss a particular gateway (book, article, topic upon which I have invited reflection), and simply to love one another without judgment. It is truly Soul to Soul in the truest sense in that we don’t need to know another’s story to hold space for the to be fully themselves and to offer compassion. I hope that all individuals can find themselves in a sacred circle one day as spiritual companionship of this kind is quite expansive, profound and fun.
What methods do you use to nurture your soul, your emotions and your body?
I utilize solitude, gratitude, family-time, nature, music, walking, biking, journaling and time spent near large bodies of water as my primary means of connecting to my soul which in turn helps me to feel my true emotions and maintain well-being in my body. These are my top priorities as far as how I choose to spend my free time. They are essential to my overall fulfillment and JOY. As I have grown in self-love, which in my opinion is truly the pinnacle of the spiritual journey, I realized that many of us spend years and lifetimes searching outside of ourselves for all of the things that we hope another can give to us to make us whole. It has been my experience that heaven, the ecstasy of which so many masters have described, is found deep within where self-love merges with oneness. I feel that it is imperative that we create a life that allows time for the personal methods, as mentioned above, that offer us spiritual sustenance—greater intimacy with our own soul. All that we then speak, say and do will be of a higher quality in that the inner matches the outer, a cornerstone of self-love and integrity.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this introduction to Annie and that you’ll consider reading her book and following her on Facebook and Twitter. To find out the latest and greatest you can go directly to her website as well! I have a feeling you’ll be hearing more about Annie not only through I Simply Am but through many other channels.
With Gratitude and Appreciation,