“Be willing to be uncomfortable. Be comfortable being uncomfortable. It may get tough, but it’s a small price to pay for living a dream.” – Peter McWilliams
By the end of today’s podcast we’re going to uncover one of the biggest lies we tell ourselves. We’re then going to look at 5 things we can start doing today to start living the life we all want and deserve!
In The News:
I open up this weeks episode sharing an article that’s was going around the interwebs last week. The article focused on a new school policy at New Haven Middle School in Evanston, Illinois. Several girls were told they were no longer allowed to wear leggings or yoga pants to school because they were “too distracting to boys”.
You can find the full article here:
Earlier this month, several girls at Haven Middle School in Evanston, Ill. were told they would no longer be allowed to wear leggings or yoga pants to school because they were “too distracting to boys.”
I go into this a bit more in the podcast but here are 3 highlights of what I shared in response to this article. I completely invite you to leave a comment on this post with your thoughts and feelings about this as well!
1. Nobody is responsible for the thoughts and feelings you put into your own brain.
2. When we blame others for the thoughts and feelings we produce we become a victim. Boys that sexualize girls based on what they wear are not victims.
3. Making girls feel responsible for taming the sexual appetite of adolescent boys is irresponsible and inappropriate at best and shamefully abusive at worst.
This Weeks Topic:
We all do the things that feel comfortable and then wonder why we’re not where we want to be. We…
stay in that same horrible job.
stay in that same horrible relationship.
blame the same people and things.
eat the same bad foods…
Now you might be thinking these things don’t feel so comfortable. And the reality is they don’t BUT when we think about how UNcomfortable it would feel to leave your job, leave your partner, stop blaming, and start eating healthy it becomes MUCH MORE comfortable to stay doing the same things. So, we actually find comfort in the discomfort to avoid what we think will really be uncomfortable!
Are you following me?
What do you dream about? Losing weight and having a certain body type? Being in a loving relationship? Owning your own business? What do these things all have in common?
In order to have these things you need to do things that aren’t comfortable. You need to leave the bad relationships you’re in, you need to take that scary jump into the world of startups, you need to eat healthy and exercise! But you know all this right? So why don’t you do it?
Your avoidance to discomfort is so fierce that your brain will trick you into thinking you don’t know! How many courses, seminars, books, podcasts, and documentaries have you consumed in an effort to “learn” how to do something and then come to realize that you never do it?
It’s because you never needed to learn those things to begin with. Your brain was avoiding the discomfort of actually doing the work SO BAD that it convinced you that you needed to learn first. A brilliant stalling tactic, huh?
Okay, so we all agree that in order to make all those dreams come true we need to get close with discomfort but how?
1. Discomfort is just a feeling and you are not your feelings.
2. Get very vocal about your dreams and then have others hold you accountable.
3. Practice getting uncomfortable: Hate listening to rap? Start listening to it. Need an extra sweater in the evening? Toss the sweater. Sit with your right leg over your left? Switch! Wear your watch on your left wrist? Wear it on your right.
4. Write out what you know you need to do to make that dream come true. Look for the things that feel the most uncomfortable and set a date to do those first.
5. Hunt discomfort down. When you have two choices pick the one that feels the most uncomfortable.
We all have big dreams no matter how different they might be. But we all share that same addiction. The addiction to feeling good and we’re so good at it too! And we’re awesome at avoiding discomfort. We’re also awesome at having dreams and never actually living them. So if we can just take some simple steps to start tweaking that a bit, we can get closer to living the life we want.
You don’t have to make drastic changes in your life. Little shifts every day will help set you in the right direction down the path to your dreams. Just take little shifts.
Want to live the BEST version of YOU!? Take the FREE 5 Day Self Love Challenge and start living the life you want today!